1.Tell us about yourself, your family, your occupation, hobbies/interests.
I was born in Mexico, grew up in Southern California, and then in 1996 our family moved to St. Mary’s for my sophomore year. I met the love of life just a year later, and then married him in 2007. We have 6 rambunctious little ones, ages 1 ½ to 10, and they are tied - 3 boys and 3 girls. I enjoy party planning, bonfires, family get togethers and get-a-ways, and when I get the chance to be creative I love to make something fun or useful with Publisher.
2. When did you start CrossFitting? Why did you start? Why do you continue now?
I started CrossFit in mid-May of 2017 after having baby #6. Not getting any younger, I needed something more in my life to keep me fit and sane. I notice that if I stay consistent 3 days a week I can truly reap the spiritual, physical, emotional benefits it has to give.
3. Do you remember your first WOD? What were your thoughts after your first WOD?
I don’t remember my first WOD – it’s more like a blur of pain, then intensified by 10 when the DOMS decided to hit, I thought “I’m going….going to die!” - mobilize, mobilize, mobilize!!!
4. What do you enjoy most about CrossFit?
I enjoy the positive energy from the coaches and fellow athletes - it really pushes me to do more than I think I can do. At times, it can seem daunting looking at that white board, but it’s very scalable, so no matter where you start, you CAN do it!
5. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
My proudest CrossFit moment was two years ago, 2016 Mother’s Day gift, when my hubby joined CrossFit Benedictus, and he and life has been better ever since 😊
6. What is your favorite movement or lift? What is your least favorite?
My favorite movement(s) are slam balls, wall balls, box jumps and burpees (somewhat). My least favorite is anything with overhead weights.
7. Have you had one or two challenging CrossFit goals that you've achieved recently? What are your current goals and how close are you to reaching them?
My most recent achievement has been push-ups, not on purpose, just a result of coming back and trying my best. My current goal is to just make it to the Box regularly.
8. What makes CrossFit different from other fitness programs that you might have tried in the past?
With a handful of little ones and a busy home life, I haven’t had anything else like CrossFit to push me to make time for myself.
9. What impact has CrossFit Benedictus had on your life, in and out of the gym?
The impact, “You can do this, Aris!”. Life is full of challenges - if I can challenge myself to a beating at the Box, then with God’s grace I can tackle and face all the challenges that come my way.
10. Tell us about your nutrition and how it has changed, if any, since starting CrossFit?
I am much more aware of how food affects one’s energy and stamina for the day. It’s a constant struggle to cut out life-long bad habits. I constantly remind myself about the bars at the Box and think of the one I have at home, my fork! It seems to help.
11. If you could write a WOD for the classes to do, what would it look like?
12. What advice do you have for others about the importance of the dedication of taking care of yourself, of investing in yourself?
You won’t regret it! Taking that time for yourself will only help you take care of your loved ones, and in the future yourself, so as not to be a burden on them. Being able to keep up with my children now and still have a bit of energy at the end of the day is a BIG plus. I plan to stay in CrossFit for life and one day in the far future still be able, God willing, to be able to keep up with grand-children!
13. What advice would you give to someone new to CrossFit or who is thinking about giving it a try?
Just do it, you owe it to yourself! CrossFit Benedictus had more benefits than just getting fit. It helps build virtue with the courage and strength to take on all the daily crosses that come with one’s state in life and your health will be even better than before. And “Just keep coming back, it’ll be GREAT!” ~The WOD Father You get what you put in!
14. Open Forum:
Thank you, Gracias, Merci, Danke sehr, Grazie!
To my Hubby for his love, enthusiasm and support in bettering myself.
To Dr. and Mrs. Carroll for bringing CrossFit Benedictus to our small town of St. Mary’s - it has changed our lives.
To all the coaches for your time, endless patience, positive motivation and encouragement, especially when I want to give up.
To all my fellow CrossFit sisters who day after day show up! I would not do it without you all, just couldn’t and wouldn’t.