1.Tell us about yourself, your family, your occupation, hobbies/interests.
I am a Minnesota native and come from a large family, 9 sisters and 1 brother. I moved to St. Mary's 7 1/2 years ago so I could go to Mass more often. I work in the office at Onyx. Hobbies and interests include volunteering, working on my house, or on wood projects.
2. When did you start CrossFitting? Why did you start? Why do you continue now?
I started CrossFit in August of 2017 in an effort to overcome the inactivity of a desk job. We continue for the same reason and others including: Physical health is closely related to mental and spiritual wellbeing and the camaraderie at the box.
3. Do you remember your first WOD? What were your thoughts after your first WOD?
I don't remember the first WOD. Thoughts after the first WOD - That wasn't too bad, but I'm glad it's over.
4. What do you enjoy most about CrossFit?
Working with and teasing the coaches and other athletes.
5. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
There was a team WOD with John Paul and I felt like I kept up with him—-well a little bit anyway.
6. What is your favorite movement or lift? What is your least favorite?
I don't think I have a favorite, but rowing is my strongest. Thrusters are my least favorite.
7. Have you had one or two challenging CrossFit goals that you've achieved recently? What are your current goals and how close are you to reaching them?
Maintaining a consistent pace throughout the WOD would be something that has really come around over the last year. Current goal is increasing barbell and kettlebell weight to build strength while at the same time working on form and flexibility.
8. What makes CrossFit different from other fitness programs that you might have tried in the past?
Since I have never been in another fitness program I don't have personal experience. However, the logical progression of teaching form, then adding weight and speed, and all in a group environment that promotes competition and keeps you coming back.
9. What impact has CrossFit Benedictus had on your life, in and out of the gym?
The physical health has been great, but even greater is the social aspect both in and out of the Box. It's the people at CrossFit Benedictus that keep me coming back!
10. Tell us about your nutrition and how it has changed, if any, since starting CrossFit?
I have made little changes like less sugar. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see how closely my diet matched what CrossFit suggested in On Ramp.
11. If you could write a WOD for the classes to do, what would it look like?
25 calorie, Rx3 - 10 each thrusters, burpees, & box jumps; then finish with a 400m run.
12. What advice do you have for others about the importance of the dedica-tion of taking care of yourself, of investing in yourself?
Your physical wellbeing affects your mental outlook. If your mental or spiritual health isn't what it should be exercising with others can be very therapeutic.
13. What advice would you give to someone new to CrossFit or who is think-ing about giving it a try?
It is hard at first, but the longer you do it the better you feel. Come at least three times each week. Don't be discouraged if you progress slowly. Be ready to meet a lot of great people.
14. Open Forum:
Thank you to owners, coaches, and fellow athletes for making working out fun.