1.Tell us about yourself, your family, your occupation, hobbies/interests.
I was born in Toronto Canada and moved to St. Mary's KS 20 years ago. I married my wife Kathleen 19 years ago and we have one daughter Maria Powers who is now 13 years of age. I work at the ONYX Collection, we have a small farm of 37 acres which a local farmer takes care of. We also have grapes and make a lot of wine.
2. When do you start CrossFitting? Why did you start? Why do you continue now?
I started with CF over 2 1/2 years ago. I started for health reasons and will continue because of the great results.
3. Do you remember your first WOD? What were your thoughts after your first WOD?
No, but I do remember that I could barely walk the next day. I could not believe how weak I had become.
4. What do you enjoy most about CrossFit?
I like the quick short workouts but above all I love those intense and wonderful warm ups that Joe Thomas provides before each WOD!!
5. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
When I ran my first 5 K run; even though I finished last I was very proud that I finished.
6. What is your favorite movement or lift? What is your least favorite?
The Thruster because it's a great work out. Pull ups because I can't do them.
7. Have you had one or two challenging CrossFit goals that you've achieved recently? What are your current goals and how close are you to reaching them?
I was able to do one double under a couple of times, my goal is to do one strict pull up.
8. What makes CrossFit different from other fitness programs that you might have tried in the past?
Every time I would start a fitness program I would eventually get hurt, I also love the atmosphere and great attitude that everyone brings to the box. I keep coming back because Joe Thomas gives awesome warm ups.
9. What impact has CrossFit Benedictus had on your life, in and out of the gym?
This will be a very weird answer it has improved my eye sight (you will have to ask DOC about that one) along with my blood pressure and heart rate.
10. Tell us about your nutrition and how it has changed, if any, since starting CrossFit?
I'm not ready to answer that question. I'm still working on that part.
11. If you could write a WOD for the classes to do, what would it look like?
15-12-9-6 Thrusters and slam balls especially after a great warm up by Joe Thomas.
12. What advice do you have for others about the importance of the dedication of taking care of yourself, of investing in yourself?
First of all start young it is so much harder to get into shape when you get older. Also, just walk in the front door and show up and do what you can.
13. What advice would you give to someone new to CrossFit or who is thinking about giving it a try?
Start slow and just show up don't worry about what you can or can't do 'age quod agis' I never miss a warm up by Joe Thomas.