1.Tell us about yourself, your family, your occupation, hobbies/interests.
I moved to Saint Marys in 6th grade. I graduated high school and then attended Saint Mary's College where I met and fell in love with my husband, John. We have been married 13 years and have been blessed with 7 children.
2. When do you start CrossFitting? Why did you start? Why do you continue now?
I began attending CrossFit about three years ago knowing I needed to start taking better care of my physical well being and knowing I needed the accountability of a scheduled class time and work out.
I continue now for the same reasons. I would never challenge myself to do these same workouts or movements. Having the external motivation of commitment really helps me.
3. Do you remember your first WOD? What were your thoughts after your first WOD?
I don’t remember the specific WOD. I just remember it being really hard and I couldn’t even do Rx C.
4. What do you enjoy most about CrossFit?
By far, it’s the other ladies and coaches here at CrossFit Benedictus that I enjoy the most. Always pushing me enough but not too much and always so encouraging.
5. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
I would say my proudest CrossFit moment was my first toes to bar.
6. What is your favorite movement or lift? What is your least favorite?
To be honest exercising isn’t my favorite, but if I had to choose I would choose rowing as one of my favorite movements.
Lifting is not my favorite - really any lift - particularly the overhead squat or snatch...oh and burpees...
7. Have you had one or two challenging CrossFit goals that you've achieved recently? What are your current goals and how close are you to reaching them?
I don’t have any particular goals other than showing up. I know if I show up I am better off.
8. What makes CrossFit different from other fitness programs that you might have tried in the past?
The dependability of having consistent class times and coaches available make it work for me.
9. What impact has CrossFit Benedictus had on your life, in and out of the gym?
I definitely feel stronger (and more sore). I’m glad that my kids also see the importance that I take the time to care for myself.
10. Tell us about your nutrition and how it has changed, if any, since starting CrossFit?
I pretty much continue to try to make healthy choices in my nutrition.
11. If you could write a WOD for the classes to do, what would it look like?
Definitely a team WOD with rowing involved.
12. What advice do you have for others about the importance of the dedication of taking care of yourself, of investing in yourself?
“You can’t draw water from an empty well.” This quote from a book that I recently read is my phone’s screensaver reminding me everyday that I need to fill my well with prayer, physical exercise and good nutrition so that I am able to serve my family well.
13. What advice would you give to someone new to CrossFit or who is thinking about giving it a try?
Sign up and show up (without looking at the WOD the night before). The coaches are there to help you no matter your starting level.