1. Tell us about yourself, your family, your occupation, hobbies/interests. My name is Jacintte but I go by Jazz. I’m 28 yrs old and am originally from Oakland, CA but moved here about 25 yrs ago. I come from a large family of 12, with me falling at number 7. My husband Andrew and I have been married 6 yrs in October and are blessed with 4 beautiful children: Georgiana (5), Thea (3), Malachai (2) and Amirah (5months). I am a stay at home mother and love it. On the side I am a freelance makeup artist and aslo host sip and paints from time to time. I enjoy art, outdoor activities, gardening and of course CrossFit!
2. When did you start CrossFitting? Why did you start? Why do you continue now? I started CrossFit in february of 2018, one of my besties, Anna Grieco (shout out to you girl!!) convinced me to join. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made!!
I joined because I was looking for something a bit more in a workout routine! Honestly I didn’t know what I was looking for when I went to watch a CrossFit class. But I was like “yeeeeessssssss… this is it! It looks crazy hard but sign me up!!” Haha!
I continue because I love it! I didn't at first, it was kind of a love-hate relationship, but nowI don't know what I would do without it. Also I see the progress that is happening in my journey to making me into a better version of myself. The positive impact it has had on my life and families life is incredible!
3. Do you remember your first WOD? What were your thoughts after your first WOD?
I don't remember my first WOD exactly but I do remember how it made me feel...boy do I remember how I felt! Haha!
My thoughts after...hmmm.. Probably something along the lines of “OMG I survived….I cannot believe I just did that and am going to be unbelievably sore tomorrow”! Haha… But no really I felt satisfaction and encouragement for the most part.
4. What do you enjoy most about CrossFit? I have to say the camaraderie is one of my favorite things about CrossFit! Everyone is so encouraging and genuinely happy for you when you reach your goals and are there to cheer you on through the touch WODs. It definitely gives a light and positive energy to the atmosphere, knowing that everyone is there to better themselves in some way or another and it kind of forms a bond of togetherness and “We got this!” attitude. Also there is no judgement, the atmosphere of CrossFit is one thing that helps make it fun to me! I also love how the workouts are so different from day to day so it keeps it new and exciting and always learning some new variation of a movement. Everything is scalable, which is super amazing because no matter what your physical state, whether pregnant, age, etc… every workout or movement can be tailored just for you!
I have to say I am impressed at how patient the coaches are, no matter how many times I have asked questions, they take the time to answer and demonstrate a movement id need be. I like how they actually walk around during the wods to encourage and help athletes that need it, they genuinely care about your safety to ensure that you don't hurt yourself so you can get better at the movements and become just an all around better athlete.
5. What is your proudest CrossFit moment? When I ran my first mile without stopping is my proudest moment so far. I have always hated running in the past and chose a fast paced walk over running, but CrossFit pushes you to do better!
6. What is your favorite movement or lift? What is your least favorite? My favorite movement is the deadlift for sure! I absolutely despise, with a passion, Running and of course burpees equally!
7. Have you had one or two challenging CrossFit goals that you’ve achieved recently? What are your current goals and how close are you to reaching them?
Yes! Running my first mile and deadlifting my 1 RM at my bodyweight are the 2 goals I have achieved since joining CrossFit. I am currently working on toes to ring so I can do toes to bar. I think too much when I'm doing it! I just need to keep working on my timing every chance I get. I really want to achieve this goal by December so we will see where I'm at on that in a few more months!
8. What makes CrossFit different from other fitness programs that you might have tried in the past?
For me what makes CrossFit different is the sense of community, how fun and varied the workouts are from day to day and mostly the positive atmosphere!
9. What impact has CrossFit Benedictus had on your life, in and out of the gym?
CrossFit Benedictus has had such a positive impact on my life. In the gym I have come along way since I first joined and am excited to see just how far I will go! I definitely see and improvement in my strength and stamina.
And as for my life at home, OMG has it impacted me. I was diagnosed with an Anxiety Disorder and also bradycardia (Low heart rate), so would feel really tired, sluggish, and just like crud all the time. I found it so hard to keep up with my kiddos and well...just life. After I started CrossFit I started seeing how wonderfully it has improved my life, I know I could never stop now! I have days once in a while where I feel like “I just can’t….but I know that if I just get up and start moving in the right direction and think to myself “Yes you can!!” then I know I will...my sound a little silly but mentally, physically, even spiritually I feel better!
10. Tell us about your nutrition and how it has changed, if any, since starting
Since Joining I am a lot more conscious about what I put into my body. I like the keto diet the most. Along with CrossFit, it works wonders for me!
11. If you could write a WOD for the classes to do, what would it look like?
Hmm I think it would be: 3 rounds for time.
12 hand release pushups
12 American kettlebell swings
Followed by 400 meter row.
12. What advice do you have for others about the importance of the dedication of taking care of yourself, of investing in yourself?
I heard and analogy a while ago, in a different context, but it went something like “before each flight takes off, the flight attendant at the front of the plane goes over the safety guidelines and regulations and demonstrates that in case of an emergency you first secure your own mask and then turn to help the person next to you” Well that same concept can be applied to many aspects of our lives. Self care is vital to be able to take proper care of those we love and depend on us. How are we supposed to care for the ones we love if we are falling apart? We need to get ourselves together before we can properly be there for anyone else! To me that means eating healthy, staying active and once I do that I feel I am much better off mentally, physically and maybe even on a spiritual level...but you have to keep it up! It's hard adapting to a new lifestyle but if you stick to it long enough eventually it will become second nature!
13. What advice would you give to someone new to CrossFit or who is thinking about giving it a try?
OMG! If you are even just thinking about it, just come watch a class! That can be a huge deciding factor because it definitely was for me. Haha! If you decide to join you won't be disappointed...come on and join the “fun” and push your limits that much further, you will be surprised what you are capable of!
14. Open Forum:
I wanted to say thank you for this...I am humbled. And also for the opportunity to make my hubby blush hehe...Andrew thanks for all of your support and encouragement, it means the world to me! I love that CrossFit is one more thing we get to share together. I love you to infinity squared!