Mindy McDonald—September 2016 Athlete of The Month
1.Tell us about yourself, your family, your occupation, hobbies/interests.
Married to Coach Andy for almost 17 years. Due any day with #9. 39 year old stay at home/homeschooling mom.
2. When do you start CrossFitting? Why did you start? Why do you continue now?
I’ve been doing CF for a year and change. My husband encouraged me to start. I continue to do it because it strengthens the mind, body, and soul.
3. Do you remember your first WOD? What were your thoughts after your first WOD?
I don’t remember what my first WOD was, but I do remember thinking that it was very difficult. A sort of, “what have I gotten myself into?” moment.
4. What do you enjoy most about CrossFit?
I love that there are no excuses. The coaches push you to do more than you think you can. I would never have attempted the weightlifting otherwise. Now, it’s one of my favorite parts. I can tell I am stronger.
5. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
So far, I think what I’m most proud of in CF is that I’ve made it through 3 trimesters of pregnancy without giving up. I have never gotten a DNF.
6. What is your favorite movement or lift? What is your least favorite?
My favorite lift is the deadlift. My least favorite is the thruster. Some things I used to despise have become less hated with practice like burpees and wall balls. I still hate them, though.
7. Have you had one or two challenging CrossFit goals that you've achieved recently? What are your current goals and how close are you to reaching them?
My most recent goals have all revolved around maintaining fitness while pregnant. I set a goal to continue CF as long as possible through this pregnancy, and I’m still working on it. My next goal will be to return to CF as soon as possible after having the baby so I can actually start to make progress on pull-ups and double unders.
8. What makes CrossFit different from other fitness programs that you might have tried in the past?
For me, CF has pushed me harder and farther than I ever thought I could go. I’ve never done another fitness program with the intensity and measurable progress that CF provides.
9. What impact has CrossFit Benedictus had on your life, in and out of the gym?
CF Benedictus has made me a stronger person both physically and mentally. When challenged by something at the Box or in life, I find myself saying, “If I can do Crossfit at 38 weeks pregnant, I can do anything.” It gives me hope for major fitness progress after this baby is born.
10. Tell us about your nutrition and how it has changed, if any, since starting CrossFit?
I eat far less sugar and bread than I used to, and frankly, I just feel better.
11. If you could write a WOD for the classes to do, what would it look like?
I leave those types of tasks to my sadistic husband.
12. What advice do you have for others about the importance of the dedication of taking care of yourself, of investing in yourself?
It’s difficult to take care of others if you don’t take care of yourself first. CF truly IS for everyone, and it WILL improve your quality of life if you stick with it.
13. What advice would you give to someone new to CrossFit or who is thinking about giving it a try?
There really are no excuses. It is the most comprehensive fitness program available, and it truly is for everyone. We all have to start from where we’re at and go from there.
14. Open Forum:
I just have to mention how grateful I am that several years ago, someone gave Doc an article about CF and he read it with an open mind. I’m also thankful that my husband encouraged me to start CF and is my biggest supporter. We’re all in this together, and it’s a fun ride.